Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2002 5.9 liter 4x4 ignition cutting in and out at times tach

Customer Question

2002 5.9 liter 4x4 ignition cutting in and out at times tach jumps when stumbles occurs crank and camshaft sensors been replaced plugs coil wires ect. may be ignition relay do you think
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: car has 103,000 miles starts great no hesitation then this began
JA: What is the model of your '02 Dodge?
Customer: ram 1500 2002 4x4 5.9 liter
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I have tries crank sensor /cam sensor or distributor sensor coil wires plugs check connectors of all sensor so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: could there be a relay perhaps to send signal for the ignition system to fire
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also new cap and rotor has been replaced / 1 fault happen temp sensor high voltage seen also
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
believe to be p 1494 fAULT
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you out today. P1494 is for the evaporative emission system leak detection pump switch. it would not cause the problem you are having. This may be a PCM (engine computer) issue. Try tapping on the PCM and wiggling the connectors at the PCM. See if it will make it act up. let me know.

Chris