cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

My dodge 1500 o8 model will switch from 2wheel drive to 4

Customer Question

my dodge 1500 o8 model will switch from 2wheel drive to 4 wheel low when the mototor is not even running I just hear this racket and discovered it was coming from my truck what in the world could this be I un hooked the battery so it would stop please any suggestions
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, your vehicle has a electronic system that allows it to shift from 4wd and 2wd. I suspect that the actual transfer case shift motor has failed in this case. Check the resistance of the transfer case shift motor circuits T101 (Dark Green wire) and T102 (Yellow wire) with the C4 (lettered D) connector unplugged from the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The resistance of the shift motor should be about 1.5-20 ohms. If less than 1.5 ohms, replace the shift motor prior to replacing the TIPM. To test directly at the shift motor, check resistance between pin 4 (Black wire) and pin 5 (Red wire). If the transfer case shift motor and wiring are OK, replace the TIPM and the shift motor per Chrysler. . If the transfer case will not shift after new parts installed and there are no codes, with the transmission in neutral and brakes applied, use a ball point pen to depress the neutral button once or twice and try shifting again. The transfer case motor is located right behind the front drive axle. To replace it you will need to remove the axle to get to it.