Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2008 Freightliner with a Mercedes diesel in it it's

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Freightliner with a Mercedes diesel in it it's like a Dodge Sprinter and it shut down when I was leaving the parking lot and I can start it when I turn the key on and doesn't even click I checked the fuses they're all good the battery has plenty of power give any idea
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: I checked all the fuses they're all good
JA: What is the model of your '08 Dodge?
Customer: When I hook up a scan tool it doesn't connect
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would definitely give it a shot I may mechanic myself not a certified one if you know what I mean but I can fix most of my issues
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The AGR and abs and the ESP and the high temperature light is on in the dash
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to hook up my scan tool it's like there's no power to it and it says link error on my scan tool and check connections it never did that before either
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

are you asking about the truck or the sprinter????

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the Sprinter
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you have access to a multimeter to do some electrical testing? If so, let me know either way and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know from my experience I like the test light better
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping for a Multimeter so we can check battery voltage.

I have a few questions.

Is this a Cargo Van, Passenger Van, or RV?

Has the battery been load tested?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a Dodge mechanic that used to work on sprinters come out and check it out he said he thinks he's 99% sure it's the ECM
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

ECM is definitely a possibility. This is why I was wanting you to obtain a multimeter. We need to know battery voltage before we can condemn the ECM... It may be a better idea to remove the battery and have it load tested at your local auto parts store. If we can verify that the battery is in fact good and can handle the load of the starter draw the next steps would lead towards diagnosis of a failed ECM. Check battery first and we can go from there.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an RV and I got 3 brand new batteries in it the battery is not the issue. The ECM is not sending the code to the fuel solenoid module or to the starter. I believe it was not wire number 41 and 44 on plug number 2 out of the ECM that go to the starter and the fuel module. The one is a red with a black stripe the other one is a red with a white stripe. If you ground them physically you can turn over the starter and get the fuel pump to turn on. Everything else works
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds like your mechanic friend may be correct. All the symptoms you describe lead to a failed ECM. ECM's must be married to the vehicle upon installation so you will need to take it to the dealer for ECM Programming and initialization after replacement.

Thank you,

Robert