Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Truck will not start. Engine cranks. Frequently after heavy

Customer Question

truck will not start. Engine cranks. Frequently after heavy rains this will happen and an error code will come across the odometer where the mileage is normally displayed that says "no bus "2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L four-wheel-drive. Please advise
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

is there a check engine light on?

have you had the fault code retrieved and was there any found?

it is saying no bus (meaning no communication with antitheft module so it want allow start up, it will not crank

do u have a security light on or blinking on dash ?

let me know please

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no security lights on the dash or anywhere that I can notice. Trying to read the codes but I'm getting a linking error failed to connect on my scan tool. This problem has started in the past and after the vehicle sat for a couple hours it would usually start up and be fine we had some heavy rains last night and now it's not starting at all

you have a loss of communication with the computer module , if the scanner just searc or tells no comunication , let me look up what module controls list and see what i can send you to check

1- igntion switch

2- wires to it

3- bcm module

4- pcm

5- or a loose or dirty connector on one of these module

6- can you check a at the time of you trying to start with switch in start position what are you getting at the start 12v or nothing ?

let me know