Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

0 8 57 back fired a cloud of blue smoke I heard a ping in

Customer Question

0 8 57 back fired a cloud of blue smoke I heard a ping in the exhaust I pulled over shut it off it started hard I could only go 50 top speed good oil pressure an temperature drove home 30 miles shut it off won't start turns over
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Any codes set with this issue that you know of?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Po171 it says bank 1 to lean
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,the back fire and ping noise is an indication of the engine running to lean.A lean condition causes this here.

What is most common to cause this issue is either a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or a weak fuel pump.I have had to replace both of these before in some cases for faults like this here.

If you have not had the fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge this needs done to see if fuel pressure is the cause here.Most of the time it is the pump that needs replaced located in the fuel tank.This repair can cost around $500 or more to have replaced.

If you need info on how to test the fuel pressure let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What should be the pressure
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The fuel pressure on this model needs to be 58 psi + or - 2 psi.Any lower then this indicates a weak fuel pump needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete