Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummings. When driving

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummings. When driving down the highway at around 55 mph it will downshift out of overdrive then shift back into overdrive. It will do this repeatedly. Would this be the shift solenoid or are there other things that could cause this too?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can usually be caused by two different components.First is the transmission torque converter lock up solenoid itself as it can cause the transmission to kick in and out of overdrive like this here or an issue with the throttle position sensor sending an incorrect signal or fluctuating signal causing this fault here.

I would start with having the fault codes checked using a scan tool fully compatible with your model plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set.Then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.The scan tool (as long as it has a data list display on the scan tool) is used to monitor the throttle position sensor signal as well as torque converter lock up signal to help determine if one of these is the cause here needing replaced.

I suspect one will need replaced to correct this fault here as these are common for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete