cwalkerjr21, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

This is Rick. I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. The gear

Customer Question

Hi Chris, this is Rick.
I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.
The gear indicator lights are all lit, the speedometer does not work and the transmission is stuck in low.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, do you have any codes stored?

You can get the codes without a scan tool on these. The way it works is you will turn the key on than turn it off and than turn the key on again without trying to start it of course. If you does not work you may need to do it a little faster. If done correctly it will flash the codes where the mileage is on the instrument cluster. Once all the codes have passed it will say DONE.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
P 1694
P 1698

I suspect we have a shorted out wire here lets start by checking the power supply to the TCM on pins 11 and 56. Check the grounds on pins 53 and 57. Check the connector for damage. The TCM is located under the driver's side front wheel well. Remove or pull back the inner fender liner and the TCM can be accessed at that point. Refer to the diagram below

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sorry codes are P1684 and P1698

P1684 just is a code saying the battery has recently been disconnected. P1698 means we have a problem with the transmission control module. We need to check those powers and grounds. If the powers and grounds check out than I suspect you may have a bad transmission control module.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This will take me awhile to aquire tools and access the module.

Okay, you will need to do these tests or you can just buy a new module. I have found many times it is just a bad wire but If you want to try a module first that is up to you. It is about a 50/50 chance on wiring or the TCM. But you let me know when you get to the wires and I will be here to help anyway further. Thanks.