Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a couple of problems and 't know if they are related

Customer Question

I have a couple of problems and don't know if they are related to one another
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2009 dodge journey sxt 3.6l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven't tried anything, I'd to try to fix it myself if at all possible
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No I don't think so, but when I accelerate fairly quickly, at about 3000 rpm during a shift my car seems to "bog" down and dosen't seem to shift to the next gear during that time i can hear a whoosh sound like air is being push out and just earlier when i was at about 45 mph my ETC light came on and I could not get any power, but the problem and light went away after i parked it and turned the car off
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: about six years, and has about 95,000 miles on it. I did have a solenoid go out on the transmission a couple of years ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

" but when I accelerate fairly quickly, at about 3000 rpm during a shift my car seems to "bog" down and dosen't seem to shift to the next gear during that time" What shift is this effecting and are you wanting it to shift up or shift down during this acceleration?

Do you know which codes are stored?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have any codes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't checked if there was any codes, the check engine light is not on at this time

Thanks, ***** ***** go into more detail on the shifting and I will try to diagnose this by symptoms rather than by codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Every now and then it slips, but most often when I try to gas it, at about 3,000 rpm the car will not shift, and at the same time I hear a whooshing sound, like air is being pushed out. I was told that it was a vacuum hose that runs from my engine to my transmission. and just today i tried to accelerate hear the whooshing sound and did not shift, so i let off the gas then my Electronic Throttle Control light comes on. I drove it till I got to a safe enough place set it park and turned off the engine. when i turned it back on the light was gonna it started driving normal, all expect for when i try to accelerate i still get the whooshing sound. but when i gradually give it gas and speed up i don't have that problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When my ETC light came on my Electronic Stability Program (ESP)/Traction Control System (TCS) Indicator Light came on as well

When a transmission slips the rpms rev up high and fast but speed does not increase equivalent, is that what is occurring?

There are no vacuum lines to your transmission, so you can rule that out.

Normally when accelerating fast or hard the transmission will maintain the gear your in or it will downshift. An upshift will be delayed until the load decreases.

All these lights that came on have stored codes and those codes will be more beneficial in diagnosing these issues. With the lights that you had I do not believe this is a trans issue but another issue that is effecting the way the transmission is operating. Possibly a faulty throttle body or a wheel speed sensor reading incorrect.

Please make sure to select a rating from the top of your screen prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't seen the RPM rev high, just when I accelerate hard or fast at about 3,000 RPM the car doesn't seem to shift, no high rpm. But like I was saying I hear that whooshing, or pssst sound at the same time the trans doesn't shift, the noise seems to be little to the right of my center dash

Noises are the hardest for us to diagnose. The noise could be the fluid pressure inside the trans moving through the valve body. With every trans issue and repair the codes and warning lights for all non related trans issues have to be repaired first since the trans uses so many other sensor readings to determine how to operate.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I'd be able to be a DIY mechicanic but I guess I'll have to take it into a shop

Your welcome, at least the scanning part needs to be done by a shop or someone you know with a scan tool. Once you and I know the codes we can get to more diag.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris