-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

1999 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4,8800lb package. 140k miles. Trans

Customer Question

1999 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4,8800lb package. 140k miles. Trans starts out in 2nd gear but will work in first if manually shifted. Also no O/D. Suspect governor transducer and solenoid due to what I've read. Your opinion greatly appreciated.
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 5.9l diesel
JA: What is the model of your '99 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 Laramie 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Will fix my self if transducer / solenoid. No other testing done as of yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No previous malfunction. Went into store, came out, problem started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

I can alomst guarantee your governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure transducer will need to be replaced based on your issues and the fact that manual low works. All you need to do is drop the pan and they are easily changed with a 7/16 socket and a T20. I would replace the filter as well and make sure to use ATF+4. The only way to properly test to see if they are bad is with a scantool. You want to see 0 psi when in drive and foot on brake. If the governor pressure is anything over 0 PSI then it's bad... I attached a picture to help locate them..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad