Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have an 02 ram 4.7 with a prof rebuilt engine that has

Customer Question

I have an 02 ram 4.7 with a prof rebuilt engine that has below 30k. I'm getting the 1391 also, as well as bucking and stalking to changing degrees. After changing both crank and cam sensors to no avail, I changed the tps for the hell of it and did the batt cable, ignition switch headlight reset thing and the truck ran great for a few days..even pulling my jetski for around 30 miles. Around day 5 it began acting up and threw the code again. I gave up and brought it to my mechanic who did everything I did and got the same results. He then said he pulled the cam sensor and looked inside with a camera and says he can't see the cam and has decided it must have broken and I'm lucky it drove as long as it did. I'm no mechanical genius but I don't think the can broke, what else could it be??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. This code is either caused by a wiring issue between these sensors and the PCM or a timing chain issue on the engine. (cam/crank correlation)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assumed it was wiring also but wouldn't that show when checking the voltmeter? As for the timing chain, if it slipped a tooth etc would the problem have gone away for the fee days then resurface? It had slight hesitation at idle every few seconds then was really bad especially at speed (bucking etc) then totally good for few days then repeated again. Now it won't start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
A wiring issue can be intermittent so it may not show up when checking it using a voltmeter.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Check for spark while cranking and check the ASD relay and circuit to ensure there is power to the coils while cranking.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible that the tone ring on either cam or crank has moved? Also curious if it's possible to scope inside the cam sensor hole? mechanic has flex camera and says he can't see cam moving at all and suspects can is broken. I've worked on my share of cars and have never seen a broken cam.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

YES and YES.

It is possible that the camshaft has broken and yes, it is possible that the tone ring is damaged or has moved on the camshaft.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My only real issue with a broken cam or tone ring is that if either was broken would it have run perfectly between the first time I changed sensors and now? I had it towing a trailer and at highway speeds with no issues or even check lights for at least 3-4 days. I would assume a broken cam or moved sensor would be constant not self correct for a period of days?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have some slight scratching on the cam sensor end also and am wondering if this is indicative of a slipped tone ring rubbing or something else? I've changed cams on older Chevy motors but am curious as to how hard changing a tone ring is?
Appreciate all the help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
this is a possibility. The timing chains would have to be removed and reinstalled.