Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I switched ignition and now my car won't start : No the

Customer Question

I switched ignition and now my car won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No the solid red dot for anti theft is on
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It fires up and shuts back off red dot on dash stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnected the battery locked and unlocked door with key turn ignition for 30 seconds nothing working
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model as well as engine size in this vehicle here?

Was this the electronic ignition switch or ignition cylinder that was replaced?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a 2002 dodge neon sxt 5speed 2.0 switched ignition and the solid red light on dash is on it fired up and shut back off and now won't do anything
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,was this the key cylinder itself or the electronic switch that was replaced?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Key cylinder
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

If you have to unplug anything when this was replaced did you make sure to plug everything back in properly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
everything's plugged in I guess it's the anti theft system shutting the fuel down so it won't stay running ..any way I can bypass that
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,I dont see a bypass on this model here myself for the security system.If your model has any after market security system this will need reprogrammed by an auto accessory facility that installs the after market security system.If it is a factory system the theft system will need relearned by a dealer and their computer.Although I do not see a program that needs done on this model.It does show that in some cases you can lock and unlock the door from the passenger side and then the vehicle should then start and run or with the key fobs/remotes.If it does not then a dealer will need to check and see if any programming is needed unfortunately since there isnt a bypass on this model here that I see.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete