sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 Dodge Caravan power liftgate stuck open, can't get it

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Caravan power liftgate stuck open, can't get it down with key or inside button at driver's seat
JA: In addition to the key, do you also have a key fob? Do you have a key code?
Customer: I have supplies to deliver and need to close it to deliver them
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The power lift gate does not move when the button is pushed, the rear lights blink but the sound is not made and it does not move
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, i just want to manually lower it for now but don't know how hard it should be pulled to do it, in case it can't be "forced" down
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried only the buttons and slightly pulling down
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: the power lift thing sometimes jiggles before it moves the liftgate down. I've only had this thing 3 weeks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be mechanical or electrical. If you haven't given much effort to closing it manually then you may find that it closes fine, there are many things that could be preventing it from closing electrically. The module itself, switches in the latch and drive assembly, or an issue with the drive assembly could be preventing it from closing electrically. If the problem is an issue with power closing only then a scan tool capable of communication with the liftgate module will be necessary to diagnose it provided there isn't simply a blown fuse.

The problem may also be a mechanical failure of the drive assembly. The clutch shoudl have disengaged when it opened and should allow you to easily close it by hand. If you find it won't close by hand with a normal effort then the clutch is most likely still engaged, which could be a mechanical failure of the drive unit or an electrical issue that kept it engaged.