Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 97 dodge ram magnum and it has started overheating

Customer Question

i have a 97 dodge ram magnum and it has started overheating while in idle for long periods or when I run the AC.. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the cooling fan is working.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Is there coolant circulation? Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: the coolant levels are fine.. I was hoping it was something simple like a fan fuse or relay that I could replace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: there is an obvious leak in one of the power steering hoses and I keep having to put power steering fluid in
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.

is this a full size truck?

if so is it an extended cab or regular cab (they are actually 2 different body codes and make a difference in some things)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
extended cab
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.

you should have a mechanical fan on a full size truck NO electric one, with the a/c on does it get warm at idle but work OK going down the road?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no thank you this is becoming more complicated than I hoped
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.

sorry there is no fast fix but i would be doing you a huge disservice if i didn't ask the proper questions and sent you in the wrong direction, i have a few suspicions but needed the info answered first