Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

My ac went out on a drive yesterday. I'm hoping it's

Customer Question

My ac went out on a long drive yesterday. I'm hoping it's something simply because I've replaced a lot of expensive things already over last couple years. It was working fine for last year after the leaky evaporator was replaced.
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: I checked the pressure. Good pressure.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was reading some other help you have another fellow. Yes I want to fix it myself. The clutch is not engaging.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: A multimeter on the plug going to the clutch is reading 11.7v for a second but it dips down to 2v for a sec and back up again. That doesn't seem right
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: It's a regular 1500. 2 years ago I replaced the compressor and last year I relaxed the evaporator. It was working well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I drove about 400m on the freeway normally. Stopped for gas and when I got back on the road it wasn't working due to the clutch
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

So when you engage the A/C the voltage at the compressor goes to 11.7 then 2 for a second then back up to 11.7 and stays there yet the clutch never engages right?