Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Code says low voltage to map sensor after bully dog was put

Customer Question

code says low voltage to map sensor after bully dog was put on how to fix or could it be a bad map sensor also throwing 1693 code sometimes light goes off for a while then comes back on
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: 5.9 cummins had it read at a trans shop
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: thats my intent
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: it appears to affect the bulldog performance when light comes on the turbo boost doesnt come in right away takes a while for it to come in
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.

Do you still need help with this issue? If so, could you answer the following questions:

1. what is the year and model of your truck? Auto or manual trans? 2 or 4WD?
  2. what specific code number(s) are you trying to diagnose?
  3. what Bully Dog product are you referring to?
  4. what bulldog performance is being affected? what light is coming on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1999 dodge ram 2500 Automatic 4WD.
Map Sensor Voltagle Low----> Code 1693----> Code 237
Bully Dog Power Pup
The check engine light comes on and I lose power.

Thank you for that information.

There are two main onboard computers on your truck; the ECM that controls how the Cummins runs and performs and the PCM that controls other systems such as charging, starting, HVAC, transmission, etc.

P0237 sets when the ECM detects MAP sensor signal voltage dropping below 0.1 volts for 2 seconds with the engine running.

P1693 sets when the PCM detects a code has been set by the ECM - once the reason for the ECM code is fixed, this P1693 will go away.

Now, I'm a retired Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Master Technician and, as such, am familiar with how these engines run. However, I'm not an expert on aftermarket accessories such as this Bully Dog Power Pup, nor I know how it is wired onto the the existing harness, or its effects on the existing ECM parameters. This means I would need your help in finding more information about it; things like installation instructions, wiring diagrams and performance specifications. Optionally, I could opt out and re-open the question to the field so you could then wait for another expert to respond. How would you like to proceed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will just replace the Map Sensor and that should take care of the 2 code and turn off the CEL light.

Nothing is telling us to replace the sensor; instead I lean more towards a bad reference signal as being the cause of the code. Do you have any means of testing reference voltage, ground and return signal at the sensor?