rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2004 dodge intrepid will not shift out of 2nd gear. : 2004,

Customer Question

2004 dodge intrepid will not shift out of 2nd gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2004, no leaking.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The transmission is in high gear at speed. Slowing down causes trans to downshift to 2nd gear with a heavy downshift, then will not up shift to high at speed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hoping it's a simple fix, such as low fluid.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: If I try to slow down very slowly it is usually fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

here are the items to check in order,

Fluid level and color. If that's good, attach a scan tool to check the shift solenoids.

if that's good, then you need to drop the pan and check for metal shavings, check the valve body and check the clutches.

Thanks, Ron