Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Very similar situation im experiencing here with a friend of

Customer Question

Very similar situation im experiencing here with a friend of mine. 07 ram 1500. Takes 3 attempts minimum to start, getting "gascap" on the odo, but they said they replaced that. Odo dashes out when trying to do the key dance. It's a chipped (grey) key, and someone else told them to replace ignition switch. If it's a security issue or pcm, I don't think it would be attempting to turn over, correct? I have a scanner at home and will be digging into this this weekend for him and looking for some advice. I'm an aircraft mechanic, but not a professional auto mech. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA
JA: Ignition switch issues can be tricky, but with the right information -- fixable. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Not sure exactly, work Truck so high mileage
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: They have replaced cap, starter, and fuel pump that I know of
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: I can ask the owner, but that's what I have so far. (I've only spent 10 min checking into so far) I disagree with their diagnosis of the start switch or pcm/security issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** to help you out with this.

You may want to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, sounds like you are describing an extended crank problem. The fuel pressure regulators on these trucks like to bleed pressure back into the fuel tank, and by turning the key on and off 3 times cycles the pump and builds enough pressure to start. The gas cap on the odo, is most likely an evap leak dtc stored, probably not related.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan