George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

How to use a telescoping gauge, outside micrometer, inside

Customer Question

how to use a telescoping gauge, outside micrometer, inside micrometer and cylinder bore gauge to measure a cylinder?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Here is a video with the basics, once you have viewed that please let me know if you have remaining questions and I will help you with those

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I watched the video but I saw it a different way. my friend used the dial bore gauge on a cylinder first and zero it out on the cylinder. then used a outside micrometer to measure the dial bore gauge. what did they do? and how was it possible. they did it in a different way on the video?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.

They were looking for the variation in the bore not the measurement of the bore. These were the basic techniques to allow you to determine if an engine block is suitable for rebuilding or if it needed remanufacturing before it is rebuilt.

Please let me know what further questions you have

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I measure the bore of the cylinder with a dial bore gauge?

I think it is shown in the video but you would know the starting length of the gauge (2", 3", 4" etc) or measure it fully retracted then 0 the dial at that point and insert it in the bore and release the gauge counting revolutions of the dial then read the dial for the final reading. YOu would rock the gauge as shown to be sure you have the highest reading and that you are square in the bore. Add the base measurement to the dial measurement and you have the diameter of the bore at that point. Measure at the same depth at three more points and that will show the bore diameter and out of round at that point.

You want to measure the bore at the top, middle and near the bottom so you know the out of round at each point and the taper of the bore.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did what you said but it was wrong

Did you watch the videos? They were wrong??

Please explain what you are doing and what tools you are using.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used a outside micrometer and a dial bore gauge
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

And where was the difficulty? It showed finding the largest point and taking readings throughout the cylinder to determine out of round and taper.

What is it you are missing?