Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My car is locked in security mode and won't start : No not

Customer Question

My car is locked in security mode and won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No not at all and I really don't know because I bought the car 2 months ago
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I sent one my kids to the car, they went out and all I heard was the alarm. I came out the key fob was on the ground in pieces. I picked it up and put it back together. I hoped in the car and tried to pull off but the car wouldn't move because the emergency brake was on. So I called up the delearship. They said lock the car with the key fob, wait 20 seconds and try to unlock the door with the key in the passenger side. I followed the steps then I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: It's a 2013 Dodge Avenger SXT
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to you with this problem.

Disconnect both cables from the battery. Positive and negative. Hold them together for 15 seconds. Make sure that the cables are not touching the battery at all. Reconnect the battery. Use the key fob to lock and unlock then lock the vehicle. Use the key to open the drivers door. Then start the car normally.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with?