Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

My 1989 dodge van B350 got pretty hot and stopped going. so

Customer Question

my 1989 dodge van B350 got pretty hot and stopped going. so we stopped and lrt it cool down it was not boiling over I had some antifreeze and added about a quart to the resivore.when it was cool I put in about 2 pints of tranny fluid and drove home.The next day I drove to town 20 miles each way and didn't leave again un till that night about 2 in the morning.The van wasnot shifting right so istopped at the store about 7 miles away and checked the fluid and added 2pints again and headed to the casino in blue lake. no problems. I came out about daylight and it wouldn't down shift to first and it would not shift to 3rd it would just stay in2nd. so idrove slow to mckinnleyville and checked the fluid again and it is 2 pints over now.i got to looking around under the van and came across the throttle linkage was not hooked up to the tranny so I hooked rthat up and test drove it hopping it would bne alright but it seemdform better it still stays in 2nd.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

you need some adjustment on that linkage or its damaged need repair.

I Will send you some diagrams on it to help you with it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

This is diagram is for the shift linkage

Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Automatic Transmission/Transaxle » Shift Linkage » Adjustments » A500/A518 4-Speed » Shift Linkage

1989 Dodge or Ram Truck B350 1 Ton Van V8-360 5.9L VIN 5

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Zoom and Print Options

Fig. 8 Gearshift linkage adjustment

When linkage rod must be disconnected from levers which use plastic grommets as retainers, the grommets must be replaced.
1. Place shift lever in PARK position, then raise and support vehicle. Check condition of shift rods, control lever, bushings, washers and torque shaft, Fig. 8. Tighten, repair or replace any worn or damaged parts.
2. Loosen shift rod adjusting swivel lock screw. Ensure swivel turns freely on rod.
3. Verify valve body shift control lever is in park detent. Move lever full rearward to check.
4. Adjust swivel position on shift rod to obtain free pin fit in torque shaft lever and torque swivel lock screw to specifications.
5. Check adjustment by starting engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. If engine starts in any other position, adjustment is incorrect or neutral safety switch is faulty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't do any work on it till later this morning without getting hasseled by cops.Ill start again at 9:00 oclock PDT.

ok cool let me know , ill be online all day till 12 pm if you need more help

A Positive rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open Even after You Rate Me For You To Come Back And Ask Me Anything Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue.

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To Chad can you answer a couple questions before you get off? The linkage looks like I will have to get a set of grommets to day. But I want to flush out the whole sustome next.The fluid is real burnt.Can I run the exit line to the radiàtor to a catch pan and the return line to2 gallons of fluid and run the motor till the fluid is new to the catch pan to get all,the burnt fluid out if I have it in reverse? And on jackstans?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customerare you out there?I just emailed you please come bàck.thank u Scott

hey i m her man how can i help you

yes i see what you trying to do , yes you can do that and use the trans pump to pump it out?

why dont you just install an external cooler and delete the radiator one , you will have a cooler trans better performance & less break down especially on long trips , you can buy external coolers from advance .

let me know if you need anything else , sorry i just seen your message now , I just logged back in , so to keep you waiting

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IfCustomeris not available I still need some direction on this tranny.So please get back to me.I been waiting for some kind of response since 11:15am today O K?

hey i m here what is your other question i l be happy to answer

last question was a about the trans fluid and i answered did u ask another , i'm sorry i did not see it , you can go ahead and ask me now