Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 4.7 liter auto

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 4.7 liter auto transmission that won't start, it's like it's not getting fuel but there is fuel pressure and the fuel injectors and getting the signal, I have replaced the fuel pump and the transmission and crank position sensors, if I spray starter fluid into the throttle body it cranks right up but does real quick because it burns off the starter fluid quickly, I've researched and researched and tried whatever be been told to try and so far no go, I need this runnnng quick cause our other vehicle needs work and a break so I need my truck back, it was starting and running perfect with no problems except sometimes after sitting for several weeks sometimes it would start and stall and then I'd crank it again and it would run fine but this was rare, I'm a disabled veteran and need to have my vehicle running and can't just go buy another vehicle just out of the blue I need this fixed ASAP please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 7 months ago.

What is the fuel pressure PSI?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Crap I can't remember off hand
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know it was within spec but it was at the end of fall so I haven't been able to work on it over the winter months so I don't remember the exact reading because it's been a few months
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's weird it's like the injectors are working and so is everything else but something isn't allowing the injectors to inject the fuel? I mean it's weird that it was working perfect one day and then out of the blue bingo it won't start

Well I would like to start with checking the pressure again. These are very sensitive. I suspect it is possibly you got a bad pump or the ground or voltage is off. If that is not correct it could be we have a issue with the fuel being bad. I know you ran through and have replaced everything but if it will run off an alternative source we know it is a fuel issue. We begin with the basics. Even if the fuel was perfect in the fall we need to check it again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ahh I swapped out the fuel too, I though of that, so I drained the tank completely and put in fresh gas

I will walk you through each step and we will get to the bottom of this for sure. So get a pressure reading on the fuel and respond with the reading. spec is 49.2 +/- 2

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I can't afford the extra money for a phone call too, I'm a disabled veteran and even this money is needed but I need this fixed

If the fuel pressure is good we will test the injectors. Best way is with a noid light but can also be done using a DVOM digital volt ohm meter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will you be available tomorrow morning? I can't do anything tonight but I can start first thing in the morning

We do not need to do a phone call everything can be done with us in this chat. Regardless of how long it takes I will stay here with you. I will be traveling tomorrow in the morning but I will have my phone and can login and respond as soon as possible. I have access to everything on my phone to help fix the problem. I promise not to leave you hanging.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey if I replaced the gas is it possible part of the old gas would still be in the fuel lines and the fuel rail even after it has sat a while?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I actually thought it might had been bad gas and drained 10 gallons of so from the tank and then put in new gas, a friend needed gas bad and they used the gas I took out of the truck, they said their car ran fine with it except it maybe was a little weak at times
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you because my other vehicle could have a bad bad problem and if I can't get this running were without a vehicle because my other vehicle has a low oil pressure warning so driving it even a little ways could be dangerous

Gas looses its potency over time sitting. Should still run but rough. I really think it could be a bad ground wire to maybe even you got a junk pump that is already went out on you. What we need to do is check that fuel pressure first see how off it is. If it is off we will than check the voltage at the fuel pump and ground making sure it is solid. If it is good we will make sure the line is clear to the engine and replace the pump. If the pump is giving you the correct pressure we will check injectors could be a bad ECM causing injectors not to open up properly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ecm isn't cheap either and have to be programmed don't they?

Yes but there are always less expensive ways of doing things. Used good pcm and 1 hour of labor from the shop to have it programmed is much cheaper than what they want new. And we will only replace if absolutely bad.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'll check everything with you I can, is there an emergency fuel shutoff switch in 2002 Dodge Ram trucks? I had a 1997 ram 1500 that had a switch that I had to reset once because I hit a pot hole that was bad enough to pop the switch and once I reset the switch it cranked right up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's also strange that it will fire right up when I spray starter fluid into the throttle body but does when it gets burnt off, I also had bought one other sensor to replace and j was going to start with that too by replacing it tomorrow, oh yeah I also replaced the sensor in the side of the throttle body too, and the sensor I have that I still need to install is the one on the front of the engine block, the part number on the box is MS42?

No sir not on this year.

THe idle speed and map sensor. I would just keep the sensors you can return and get your money back unless we for sure need them.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok mr walker, well there's not much else I can do tonight, I will contact you first thing in the morning Utah time, first thing her is about8:00 or 9:00, o can't return it now I've had it since the end of fall and bought it online so might as well replace it since it takes all of 5 minutes to do it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anyway I'm going to let you go for the night and will contact in the morning ok, have a good evening sir

Sounds good I will be traveling but will respond as soon as possible to your reply.

Same to you sir.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ksl dry I'm a bit late getting back to you, I've had a few hurdles this morning, I was trying to charge the truck battery and it won't even register as connected to the charger and it's a good high end charger with jump starter, so I'm going to have to pull the battery form the hummer to crank the truck to test fuel pressure and to verify pulse on injectors, I'm also going to be swapping the oil pump on my hummer because of the low oil pressure problem, I'm sure that's the problem, I thought it just needed oil change because I thought wife misread dash warning because it also said time for oil change, and it looks easier then I thought because I thought you had to drop the under side bid metal plate rock guard but the oil pump comes off the front of the engine under the front engine cover so if that doesn't fix it I'll have to check the pick up and screen but it has fresh oil and filter and I spent a lot of money on the best filter and oil, anyway I'll test fuel pressure and injector pulse, I'll need wife to help both, so as soon as she gets home I'll start on testing the stuff, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is fine and I can hear it spinning up when key is turned on anyway I just wanted to let you know why you haven't heard from me yet, that and today is my 51st birthday and I have lots of calls and social media messages and birthday wishes to respond to
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey I didn't get a response from you yesterday but I'll need your help today in a little while, it took me a while to get things together to test fuel pressure and the injectors and that stuff and had to go to the auto parts store too, I've also been getting things ready to work on my hummer too just in case we can't fix the truck? Not that I don't have faith in you but I've been here before and the other tech didn't get the truck running for me then so I'm hoping you can succeed where he failedBill

I am out of town with pretty limited internet. I found a spot in the hotel room to get okay service so I will do everything I can to help get your vehicle up and running. So did you get the fuel pressure tested?