Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 1984 dodge ramcharger and I 't know how to stop the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1984 dodge ramcharger and I don't know how to stop the squeaking when. I turn. I know it's not the pump but what do I do
JA: Have you checked the fluids? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: The fluids are fine and there is 99,545 miles on the truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to tighten the belt and I've had no luck getting the bolts loose. It is pretty rusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: It was a plow truck for the last 15 or so years, and it sat unused most summers
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Does the squeaking noise sound like a belt squeal, or something in the suspension?

It is very possible for a loose belt to squeal when turning.

Or the ball joints could be making a squeaking noise when turning. i would try by using a grease gun a lubricating the ball joints.

If the belt feels loose it should be adjusted. I would soak the belt adjustment bolts in penetrating oil over night, then try to re adjust the belt tension.