rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2010 Dodge 1500. with 5.7 hemi. Trying to get to pass smog

Customer Question

2010 Dodge 1500. with 5.7 hemi. Trying to get to pass smog in California. the O2 sensors are not ready. I do a live scan of my O2 sensors and 1 of the 2 parameters for the O2 heater monitors hasn't "passed" the test yet. This is for all 4 O2 sensors. I have gotten the computer flashed, replaced the battery, and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. I have driven 1200 miles since the flash and 500 since the sensors and battery replacement. Any suggestions?
JA: What happens when you step on the gas? Do you notice a rough idle?
Customer: Everything sounds/feels smooth. And there is no alarms/error codes neither.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried the dealer. they told me to drive it after they flashed the PCM. After 500 miles and no change, the dealer said to continue to drive it. so i changed the battery and all 4 o2 sensors. Have another 600 miles since battery and 300 miles since the sensors been replaced. So in the last 2 weeks i have put 1200ish miles on the truck and the OBDII monitors have passed yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't thin of anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You need to check MODE 6 to find out what is blocking that from running and passing. It shouldn't take long if it's clear to pass. Something is stopping it, and only MODE 6 can tell you what that would be.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have "Blue driver" code reader which has a Mode 6 function on it. It's telling me that 4 parameters have not been met. 1 per o2 sensor. All 4 of the them look like the same type of parameter. It has to do with the O2 heater monitor. Give me a second and I'll get you the parameter ids...
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The parameter ids are 4198, 4298, 4598, and 4698. My scanner says its it "oxygen sensor heater monitor bank 1 sensor 1". And so on for the other 3 sensors. Then it has a min, val, max for times... but the times are blank
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

No, you will need to see what parameters are too close to NOT passing and fix that issue, I can't do that from here.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You bet, thank you too.