Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician with over 20 years experience.
1627031

06 ram 1500 led bulb pass.side installed backward & blew

Customer Question

06 ram 1500 led bulb pass.side installed backward & blew fuse, replaced fuse put in Stock bulbs & everything worked, except for brake lights (high mount & both sides nothing) replaced brake lamp switch & still no brake lights, everything works except brake lites
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: Replaced fuse & put stock bulbs back in still no brake lites
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Are you a bot of course that's why I'm talking to you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you blow a fuse for these lights the system shuts itself down. The fuse box under the hood is known as the totally integrated power module. When a fuse blows and it detects a short in the circuit the module shuts this circuit down. The only way to get it working again is to use the right scan tool to remove the fault from the computer so that it will work again. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have an obd 2 scanner & I can clear trouble codes, but wouldn't I see a trouble code via check engine light

This would not show up in the regular powertrain trouble codes. You need a scan tool like a DRB or another high end scan tool. Regular generic scan tools cannot read this system.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I don't have the correct scan tool I need to see a mechanic or someone with the scan tool that knows how to use it, correct?

Exactly. Most good shops should have a scan tool that is capable of this. It should be at a fraction of what the dealer costs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, these led bulbs have been a pain, I now know I need load equalizers. But this is my second go around with different brand bulbs & I'm just wasting time & $. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But why does everything but brake lights work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Running lites park lites & blinkers work
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also reverse lights work

This happens because the brake lights are the highest amperage draw so it does this to protect the circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the power module has brake lites isolated from the others even though a single fuse controls the 3 lights , brake Rev & tail
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
finally the power modue should have not sustained any damage it just needs to be reset, like u said earlier I guess

Yes, it simply turns off the circuit even though it is fused with other circuits. The module should be fine.