cwalkerjr21, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

2002 Dodge RAM 3500 van 5.8l: Problem: While driving my son

Customer Question

2002 Dodge RAM 3500 van 5.8l:
Problem: While driving my son to school the van suddenly started to shake or cycle violently but only if the gas pedal had pressure applied to it. I immediately stopped and turned the motor off because the temp. gauge was beyond the 260 mark and I thought the motor had overheated. This wasn't the case however since after only a couple minutes I decided to turn the ignition on without starting tho motor and the temperature to the motor was at it's normal setting. I miraculously drove it to an auto parts store and had them plug it in and I got four codes: PO107, 122, 117 and 112
I replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (117) since it seemed to only have the problem when the sensor showed that it was overheating when I knew it wasn't. So after I did that, I drove to a mechanic friends home and he plugged it back in and cleared the codes for me. Now, from my home to his I noticed the idle was a little high a couple times, but that is all I noticed out of the ordinary. But after he cleared the codes I went back home and 2.8 miles out the van did the same thing, and I got lucky because it happened where I was able to coast into an Autozone parking lot! That's the only good thing that happened to me that day. And when they plugged it in the same four codes came up. I was stuck there for 2 hours until dusk came (cooler temp outside) and I was able to drive it home from there and it still sits there until I get this figured out. I want to replace the other three sensors but fear that may not fix the problem & I am limited with funds right now. I hope you can help me figure this one out!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 4 months ago.

Check the wiring to the sensor, the Orange wire should have 5 volts at all times, this is the 5 volt reference voltage. The Orange/Dark Blue wire should have 5 volts on the harness side when the sensor connector is unplugged. This voltage comes from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When plugged in, the normal voltage range is approximately 0.5 volts at closed throttle to 3.5 volts at wide open throttle. The Black/Blue wire should have 0 volts at all times; this is the sensor ground circuit. If the voltages are normal, then the problem will likely be in the harness or with connections. Test the operation of the cruise control switch. There is a condition where the cruise Multiplex circuit shorts to battery voltage and then causes the PCM to set these codes. The cause of this is usually a shorted clockspring.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wouldn't the voltage read normal since the problem is intermittent and only has happened while I am driving?

Not likely but I am pretty certain this is the cause to your problem. It is a common issue on your vehicle. If the issue is not happening it will still not be perfect it will be less than 5 which means there is an issue but it drops far enough to cause all of your problems. Shorted clockspring is most likely the concern here.