Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My 2.4 liter Dodge Stratus Coupe hesitates (misfires) off

Customer Question

My 2.4 liter Dodge Stratus Coupe hesitates (misfires) off idle for a few seconds and then runs fine. It only happens when stopped and accelerating from idle and then quits after a few seconds.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: The transmission has never been serviced (the car is 2004 with 120000 miles) and the fuel filter has never been changed.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?
Customer: SXT 2door with 2.4 L engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself and I am still in the diagnostic stage with no repairs tried.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The spark plugs are fairly new (20000) miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Chad, Hopefully you can see the information sent previously. Other than that, the car seems to run fine under acceleration. It just has this off-idle stumble that goes away in a few seconds.

is there any check engine light on

definitely spark plugs and fuel filter needs changing if you haven't already at the mileage .

hesitation , could be low fuel pressure , low spark , mass airflow sensor , vacuum leak can you get the code read ?

this coil is common about going bad in them

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The spark plugs were changed about 10,000 miles ago. The check engine light has been on for about a year now, but the hesitation is a new thing. Runs fine after it gets past that stumble.

how about the coil in the picture has it been changed

the check engine light could be on for like an O2 sensor before not effecting driving , but now we have more codes , so i will bet you will have more codes now

so if find multiple misfire or a mass air flow sensor code could be the issue can you have it scanned and tell me what they are , i can help you to be more precise instead throwing parts at it

if you can get a fuel pressure tester will be good we can check fuel pressure too

you can get codes and come back on this post tomorrow or monday whenever you get them and reply here and I will see it

let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The code reader coded the #4 cylinder misfire so I changed the #4 coil and all of the spark plugs. I also erased all the codes because earlier in the year I replaced the purge valve and that was still coding also. Thanks for your help and I will run it for a few days to see if I get any more codes.

A POSITIVE RATING IS MUCH APPRECIATED

this post will stay open for you to ask me any follow up questions on this issue

just let me know if u need any ,R&R procedure or Wiring diagrams , code trouble shooting etc ...

I m usually only daily from 8 am till 12 pm

let me know :)

if you can get a scanner that reads live data and you can tell what are the fuel trims for long term trims and short trims and O2 sensor readings that will help me to tell what it is causing this

problem you having .