Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.

Dodge minivan, '94 caravan. the a/c blend door to blow

Customer Question

dodge minivan, '94 caravan. the a/c blend door to blow air at your chest and face isn't getting the air out of the face vents. How To Get The Dash Off So I Can Check The Hinges If The Door Is Still Attached Properly? The little vacuum pot is working good as i ran it through its movements. Just need to get the dash apart and get inside that airbox for that blend door.
Have most of the dash apart but the top wont come off, as it appears to be screwed to some of the ducting, but the screws look like the only to get to them is to take off the windshield? well, not gonna do that. So, how do we wrestle that dash apart on top?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

HI there,

HERE is a link with information to get it apart so you can take a look at the heater box It's possible that the leak is in the control module, but this should get you under there so you can have a look.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!a

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Mike. Looks like a good article, but don't understand all the names of the parts they are talking about in the article; would have been better to have more pictures of what those parts are so they could be identified. I have the time, the tools, the ability, but not understanding what all those steps were saying. Will continue digging into this problem until i cant go any further, then will probly have it towed to a dealership and ask them how much to fix my efforts. Wish you were here Mike [to help]. Until next time, - take care.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome and I can assist from here if you need me to, don't be afraid to ask about some of the parts. Also, this article is about removing the heater box. So, everything isn't required to get where you need to be to check stuffs. For example, where it's talking about evacuating the freon for the air conditioning. This isn't something that you need to do because you aren't removing the box, just trying to get to it to check on the vacuum line and the door itself.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i'm trying to dig down from the top of the dash to look at the air door that directs the air out the middle height vents that blow on your face/chest. I'm thinking the air door has come loose on its hinges, or the hinge has broke somehow and i want to look in there to see that. i want to look in that air box area and be able to look in it from the top, without removing all the plumbing and evaporator. But how do i get the top of the dash off?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I was unable to respond to you earlier.

You have to pretty much remove the entire dash to get the dash pad off to view this.

HERE is another link for that.

If the blend door has come loose from the heater box, then the whole box will have to come out. It's much more common for the control head or the diaphragm to spring a leak and cause the issue you are having.