Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T coupé and yesterday when I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T coupé and yesterday when I started it I noticed a ticking sound it's not really loud but it's not normal either when I rev the car it gets a little louder
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It turns over right away and I just bought the car used I don't know how old the battery is.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Everything I've learned so far about cars I've learned from YouTube but I can't afford to take it to a shop
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I know my oil needs changed it's dark black and my transmission fluid is also dark black which I know it isn't good. I'm changing those tomorrow I was told from a friend that it could be a timing belt. But I really don't know much about engines I specialize in auto detailing and car audio
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: It Burns oil, and has a cracked radiator and I believe the spark plug wires may need replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Do you know which engine you have in your stratus? 2.7l or 3.0l?