-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport, right sliding door wont open. Door

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport, right sliding door wont open. Door will unlatch, but will not roll open. Wire harness rings out nicely and wires appear in great shape. Tried replacing motor but made no difference. Tried changing out module, but it was an earlier firmware, and didnt help either. Door will make a loud annoying "clank" when I close it. Actually hurts my ear. Wondering if there is an issue with the door closing mechanism that also wont allow some switch to trigger the actual door motor. Dave
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also to note: When pressing button to open door, the door will unlatch, and a relay is heard clicking about 4 times inside the module. Like a blinker light. Almost like its yelling out an error
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

What codes are in the PSDM(Power Silding Door Module)? Is the module software up to date?

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not read any codes. If I go to O'Reillys and use their computer, will it give me a code? I will need to open the door panel to get info from the module. I think its firmware rv 11 or something
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

A cheap code reader will not work.. Here at the dealership I would use my DRBIII to retrieve the codes.. You will not be able to repair this issue without knowing what is wrong, and to do that you need to see what codes are setting in the PSDM, then you will be able to run the proper diagnostic steps to find the issue and get it fixed...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a mechanic friend who says he has a near factory scan tool. I will see if it gives us any codes. With the way the relay is clicking on and off, my guess is, its more then likely triggering a code.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

if the door will not open then yes it has codes and we need to know what codes so I can give you the correct diagnostics to get it fixed up.. Just post them here when you have them

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also to note, upon closing the door, when not fully closing it, the motorized closing mechanism will randomly kick in and try to close the door. At the very last moment, it will let go and door will pop open again. I wonder if there is switches inside of that mechanism that also wont allow power to motor. Will attempt to get codes asap. How much would the Dodge dealer want for a code reading?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

There is a software flash to correct this issue.. We charge 1 hour to update modules at the dealership..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says the power close feature should still be working. In my case its not, so this may be hit and miss. Throwing a bit too much money into the wind with something that should be a recall on about a million Dodge vans. I'm willing to try it anyhow
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Like I said we need to know what codes it has, and to be honest if it was at my dealership I would write down the codes, flash the PSDM, then see what active codes it has and run the diagnostic tests..