tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owned repair shop for 25yrs

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 NV4500 transmission I have put

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 NV4500 transmission I have put the clutch set in and I am trying to install the transmission. There is not enough room, keep hitting the floor.
Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

you need to let the engine tilt back a little more so the trans will align with the engine

NV4500 - Manual Transmission INSTALLATION NOTE: If a new transmission is being installed, use all components supplied with the new transmission. For example, if a new shift tower is supplied with the new transmission, do not re-use the original shift tower. 1. Apply light coat of Mopar high temperature bearing grease or equivalent to contact surfaces of the following components: - input shaft splines. - release bearing slide surface of front retainer. - release bearing bore. - release fork. - release fork ball stud. - propeller shaft slip yoke. 2. Apply sealer to threads of bottom PTO cover bolt and install bolt in case. 3. Mount transmission on jack and position transmission under vehicle. 4. Raise transmission until input shaft is centered in release bearing and clutch disc hub. 5. Move transmission forward and start input shaft in release bearing, clutch disc and pilot bushing. 6. Work transmission forward until seated against clutch housing. Do not allow transmission to remain unsupported after input shaft has entered clutch disc. 7. Install and tighten transmission-to-clutch housing bolts to 108 Nm (80 ft. lbs.). 8. Install transmission mount on transmission or rear crossmember. 9. Install rear crossmember. 10. Remove transmission jack and engine support fixture. 11. Position transmission harness wires in clips on shift cover. 12. Install clutch slave cylinder and install slave cylinder shield, if equipped. 13. Connect speed sensor and backup light switch wires. TWO WHEEL DRIVE 1. Fill transmission with recommended lubricant. Correct fill level is bottom edge of fill plug hole. 2. Align and install propeller shaft. 3. Lower vehicle. 4. Clean the mating surfaces of shift tower, isolator plate and shift cover with suitable wax and grease remover. 5. Apply Mopar Gasket Maker or equivalent to the sealing surface of the shift cover. Do not over apply sealant. 6. Install the isolator plate onto the shift cover, metal side down. 7. Install the shift tower onto the isolator plate. No sealant is necessary between the shift tower and the isolator plate. 8. Verify that the shift tower, isolator plate and the shift tower bushings are properly aligned. 9. Install the bolts to hold the shift tower to the isolator plate and the shift cover. Tighten the shift tower bolts to 10.2 - 11.25 Nm (7.5 - 8.3 ft. lbs.). 10. Install the shift lever extension onto the shift tower and lever assembly. 11. Install shift boot and bezel. 12. Connect battery negative cable.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.