Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and out of nowhere today it

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and out of nowhere today it started to spit and sputter. It starts fine but as soon as you put it in gear it acts like it wants to die?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Like I said, it feels like it is going to die as soon as I put it in gear. To start it up is fine but when you put it in gear it acts like it is choking to death. has 206,500 miles never any major issues, so just a little concerned
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, just got home from work. wanted to ask before going down a rabbit hole
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: The*****gear shift just last week, was no longer engaging, just kind of going back and forth with no resistance and would not go into*****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!