-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 06 Dodge charger sat in the garage few months, and now

Customer Question

Hi, my 06 Dodge charger sat in the garage for a few months, and now for some reason I cant turn the car on with my old key
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The red dot/anti theft alarm had turned on, which I fixed when I replaced the battery in in remote/key
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well yes if possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I talked to the local dodge dealer, they said i need to tow it to them and pay for them to look at it and to program the key if that's the issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

If the red light is on that is telling you that there is an issue with your security module which could be a bad key or bad WIN module.. Do you have a spare key to try? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5 min to see if it will start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that and the red light is off now
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Will it start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can open and close the car with the remote key, but the car won/t start
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't find my spare key. I only have that one
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Will the starter engage? When trying to start does the red light come on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
all the lights come on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but the engine won't
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

So when you turn the key the starter will not spin the engine over? Is the battery good?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the battery recently and they told me it was good. Could it be that the car system is not recognizing the key
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what are the probable causes, I can try them out
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Well if the red light is on then there is an issue with the key or WIN module.. If you had another key it would rule out a bad key but since you don't the best way to see what's going on will be to see what codes the WIN module has.. And to do this you will need a scantool to communicate with the WIN module to see what codes it has.. Do you have a scantool?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but the red light is not on anymore. it turns on like all the other light when i turn the key and it turns off moments later
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will get one
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Ok let me know what codes you have..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I be able to continue this conversation tomorrow
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Sure!!

You can reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating...

Let me know what you find,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad