Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

99 dodge ram1500 5.9 no communication. bus line has no

Customer Question

99 dodge ram1500 5.9 no communication. bus line has no voltage
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: truck runs for 10 to 20 mins and then dies. after 20 mins starts up. Also has no communication between pcm and scaner
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 123000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: DLC pin 3 and 11 ccd+ and ccd- has no voltage. It should be 2.5 to 2.47 volt
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: pcm connector C3 pin 28 and 30 has continuity to DLC pin 3 and 11. But has no voltage
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im still waiting the answer
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you out today. This is going to be a module shorting out the bus, OR a problem in the harness. Some places in the harness I have seen is where it rubs up against the left shock tower, or at the engine oil dip stick tool. Check those areas. If it looks ok, then start disconnecting modules one at a time while monitoring the bus voltage at the DLC. If the voltage returns after disconnecting a particular module, then replace that module. The modules to check are : air bag, CTM, ABS, overhead console (if equipped), and instrument cluster. If the truck has steering wheel mounted audio controls, then disconnect the radio also.

Try those things and let me know what you find.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello, did you receive my last reply?Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I disconnected each module. But no voltage at the DLC pin 3 and 11
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, let me check a few things and get back to you.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, based on what you are telling me, you either have a failed PCM (engine computer) or a shorted bus circuit(s). Disconnect the PCM. The use your ohm meter and check for shorts to ground on pin 3 and pin 11 at the DLC. If there are no shorts, then check continuity from pin 3 to the PCM connector, and pin 11 to the PCM connector. If it is good, then replace the PCM. Let me know if you need a PCM connector pin out diagram.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pin 3 & 11 no continuity to ground. Pin 3 to C3 pin 30 has continuity. And pin 11 to C3 pin 28 has continuity.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then it is starting to look like a PCM. Problem. But first please tell me which modules you disconnected. I want 5o he sure that we did not miss one.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then it is starting to look like a PCM. Problem. But first please tell me which modules you disconnected. I want to he sure that we did not miss one.

Chris