Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.

Steering got odd. Checked fluid it was low. My Ole man added

Customer Question

Steering got odd. Checked fluid it was low. My Ole man added but over filled. On the third day of driving it got odd on way to work. On way home it was worse. Got home and went to check it. Of course it has splattered on other areas. When I removed stick it was smoking off stick. Is it being over full its problem now or something worse.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

This actually indicates that you have a leak in the power steering system someplace. It shouldn't be low as it is, it's a sealed system so it doesn't get low. Overfilling it wouldn't cause this, whatever caused the original issue is causing the problem. What I would do is put some power steering fluid in it with it running and then see if you can tell where it's leaking from. It sounds like it may be the return line because you got a few days out of it. Normally if it's the high pressure line it will leak out all the fluid very quickly.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Hadn't heard back from you so I figured I would touch base and see if you needed further assistance?