-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I brought my 05 dodge magnum to a dodge dealer because the

Customer Question

I brought my 05 dodge magnum to a dodge dealer because the car wouldn't turn over when cranked. There was a red dot that came on under the fuel gauge.They performed a diagnostic ($105) and determined there was a communication error, bad key so they gave me a plain spare key ($85). Now as I'm driving home from the dealer, I realize the signal/wipers, cruise control sticks on the steering column do not work. I immediately took it bad to the dealer within 20 mins. I told them it wasn't an issue before I had the car brought in. The signals worked fine, I demonstrated that to the tow truck driver before he brought it in. They are saying that's an unrelated issue and it will require another diagnostic. But the signals were working fine this morning before I had it towed to the dealer. I feel like I'm being had. Are these issues related?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

If all the dealership did was program you new keys then no they wouldn't have had any part in your wipers, cruise, etc. But if they replaced the WIN module which is the part you stick your key into then they maybe related to your issues... It sounds like maybe your SCCM Steering wheel control module maybe bad but you would need to see what codes it has to determine that..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They also replaced the driver airbag because they said it had been recalled. So these could be unrelated? I demonstrated to the tow truck driver that everything on the dash, signal, was operating but the car wouldn't turn over right before we brought it to the dealer. They actually didn't program my key, they just made me a plain spare without the FOB.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told they couldn't just make me a spare, I had to have a diagnostic done, and then a key could be made.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
Your key although it doesn't have a remote still needs to be programmed before it will start the vehicle. And since they replaced the airbag then I would inform the service manager that you didn't have these issues beforehand and see if the tech didn't connect the wires good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will do thanks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for the rating!