-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

08 dodge 3500 6.7 cummins, changed # 5 injector line. It was

Customer Question

08 dodge 3500 6.7 cummins, changed # ***** injector line. It was leaking and replaced with new line. Now truck will crank but no start. Fuel pump working, getting fuel in filter and up to injectors, I say this because I removed the new line and reinstalled it and fuel was present in line
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

Just by changing 1 line should't cause it not to start because a 6.7 have self bleeding injectors, and when I chage them on a 5.9 I crack open #1 and #3 to start it then tighten them when it's running. By chance do you have a scantool to show rail pressure so we can see if it has at least 5,000 psi to bust off or not? I'm curious to see if it's building pressure or not.. Did you loosen the transfer tube or did it not move when you loosened the line? If you crack open #5 and crank it does fuel trickle out?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No scan tool as of now, didn't loosen transfer tube (fuel rail?) no fuel trickling out. Don't want to crank to much, 15 second bursts, 300 miles on fresh rebuild
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

The transfer tube is the nut holding the tube in the head that should be torqued to 37 ft/lbs.. And in the 300 miles it hasn't give and issues besides the #5 line leaking? Is the check engine light on and if so what codes are setting? Since you only changed the #5 line and it was running fine then there should be fuel coming out when you crank it over and since there isn't then the CP3 pump is not sending it. Will it deliver fuel if you disconnect the FCA(Fuel Control Acutator) on the back of the CP3 pump? Is there anyway you can get a scantool so we can see what's going on?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can get a scan tool in the morning. No issues in the 3oo miles, no ce codes before no start situation, will check fuel tube ,and disconnect fca tomorrow and get back to you.can you tell me size of fuel tube wrench. Thanks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good morning..

The transfer tube nut is a 15/16. Once you get a scantool let me know what the rail psi is, and remember it needs to be 5000-6000 to bust off.. Verify 500ml of fuel from lift pump in 10 seconds, then check for fuel at injector when cranking..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I figured the problem out myself. Bad transfer tube. People like me use this site because we don't have thousand dollar scan tools at our disposal. I was working on the truck the first night I used your services and needed it by morning and did not have access to a scan tool, so I continued to diognose myself until I ruled out possible causes and it led me to the tube. The original fuel line was not the cause of the leak, but a crack on the top of the tube. I'm sure we would have figured this out together, but how many days later. Thank you for your effort, but I'm not satisfied with the service I paid for. I received more useful info through Google and when I needed it.