Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

When A/C is running and driving 30 plus minutes at 65 mph or

Customer Question

When A/C is running and driving 30 plus minutes at 65 mph or greater, there is a loud high pitched sound under the engine and the car won't go over 50 mph, even if floored. This has happened 3 times in the last year. Each time I've pulled off the road, turned the AC off, gotten back on the road and the whining has stopped and I was able to accelerate to the speed limit of 65.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 6 months ago.

hello . how are you ? The problem you are having is most likely one of 3 things . I will start with the A/C condensor cooling fan . if the a/c condensor fan does not come on when the air conditioning is on the system pressures on the a/c high side can climb to an excessively high pressure creating a huge " mechanical " load on the drive belt causing it load the engine ( explaining the lack of speed ) and also cause the belt to slip ( causing the noise ) . The noise could also be coming from a slipping a/c compressor front " shoe " which would also create the noise , but is not likely to cause reduced speed . thirdly it can be a weak belt tensioner and worn belt , this would also create the noise , but not likely the loss of speed . Check the front " shoe " on the a/c compressor to see if it looks as if it has been hot , inspect it for heat discoloration .

I hope that has helped . Thanks , Kevin .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, Kevin.

you are welcome . Thank You for using Just Answer ! :-)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Kevin, I had a 1 1/2 drive this weekend on the interstate and didn't run my A/C. My vehicle did the same thing (high pitched sound, high rpm's, and would not go over 55) after driving for about 40 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter if I run the A/C or not. I did take a picture of the light that came on and recorded the noise. I didn't know if there was a way to send you that information. I hate to take the vehicle in again only to be told nothing is wrong when I've already had it in twice. Do you still believe it's the same issue? Thank you!