Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

My 2005 magnum won't start. There is a red dot on under the

Customer Question

My 2005 magnum won't start. There is a red dot on under the fuel gauge
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It won't turnover. Allof the lights, radio, etc comes on, but when I turn the keyin the ignition. the car is dead
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing at the moment. I read somewhere it could be a fuse, or my transponder key is busted. Not sure where to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Nothing I can think of, the check engine light came on awhile ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question. I'm Robert, I'll do my best to help with this concern..

Since the red dot is on, it means that there is a problem with the Immobilizer System. First off, do you have a second key available that you can try? It may be the key so try this first if possible.

Post back the results..

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a second key.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are other steps I should take?
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, was offline.

Since you don't have a second key, about all that you can do that may or may not help is to disconnect the vehicle's battery. Leave it unhooked for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. After that, try the key. If it still won't work you will have no choice but to tow it to the dealer. They will need to diagnose it to see if your key has failed or if there is a problem with the vehicle. This type of repair (Security System) MUST be performed by a dealer as there is special programming required if any modules need to be replaced. Independent shops normally don't have the required equipment to perform this repair. There is also a PIN number required for programming the keys which the dealer will easily have access to..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,