sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 Durango, My A/C works great in the front, but the rear

Customer Question

2004 Durango, My A/C works great in the front, but the rear only blows air, not cold nor hot. Blowers is fine, front and rear switch work. I know that the hoses may get clogged but I'm not sure which whose to blow, use air or water, how to clean it and where to connect? any advice
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi there.

The only hose that gets clogged with debris and needs to be blown clean is the drain hose at the bottom of the evaporator case - it has no bearing on whether or not the rear A/C blows cold air.

In most cases, the rear A/C stops cooling when there is not enough refrigerant in the system. With the engine running and A/C on, go under the vehicle and locate the two hoses going into the rear HVAC unit. The bigger hose should be cold to the touch, the smaller one hot. If not, recover the existing refrigerant, evacuate the system and recharge with the proper amount of refrigerant indicated on the underhood label.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the evaporator case inside the dash or is there a hose connection where I can unplug and put air to clean it?

I'm confused by your last post. Please read my previous post, then let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry, the rear evaporator case is located inside the walks of the car, do I have to remove all the cover panel, get inside to the evaporator case in order for me to clean the lines?

Sorry, but it looks like either you're not reading or not understanding my posts.

The drain hose at the bottom of the evaporator case has no bearing on whether or not the rear A/C blows cold air.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the drain hose is in the bottom of the evaporator case, and where is the evaporator case?

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do,

Are you not able to control temperature in the rear whatsoever? If not, did you lose both hot and cold at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
everything works fine, rear only blows air, not hot nor cold, I know cleaning the lines may help, but I need to know the location

I'm not sure you saw my last post. Here it is again:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cant control the rear temp, I purchased it like that 2 years ago

Can you control rear mode?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can control speed
I did note that the blower motor works. Can you control mode, the direction of airflow?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the direction is controllable

With the engine hot can you feel the rear heater hoses nearest the heater box as possible and see if they are both too hot to comfortably touch? You'll want to chock the wheels and set the emergency brake for safety.