Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

The engine is running ruff and . Failed smog test because of

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The engine is running ruff and rich. Failed smog test because of unburnt hydro carbon. The turn key code test shows code, 32 Fault in EGR diagnostics.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: It is a 1995 Dakota. I just put a cadalatic converter in because previous owner had no converter and load exhaust. When you slow down it runs really ruff.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

I need to get the engine size as well as what you have done so far to resolve the code 32

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Eric,
The engine is 5.2 liter 318 V8.
I just got this truck. The only thing I did was advance the timing a little and put a catalytic converter on it. I have done nothing to resolve code 32.
The thing is running rich and it doesn't shift at the right times. The guy before me would turn off the Over Drive but I hope to get it running better.Any ideas?Thanks,Greg
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Most commonly on this engine I have found both the EGR valve and EGR transducer next to the valve(see attached) to fail due to carbon buildup. This will cause a rich condition.

I replace both the components and while I have them off, I clean the egr port of carbon - pour a little bit of Seafoam into the port the EGR valve bolts to and let is set for about 10 minutes. The throw a rag over the port and turn engine over a couple of times to blow the loosened carbon out of the port.

A rich condition can affect your shift parameters, so take care of the code 32 first and then see if still having incorrect shifting. If so, then likely will need to replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid bolted to the bottom of the valve body

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?