Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

My girlfriend has a 2010 Caliber and suddenly last night it

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my girlfriend has a 2010 Caliber and suddenly last night it wouldn't start. Lights, etc., work fine, I replaced the battery just in case. It won't turn over whatsoever. I thought maybe the starter relay?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine doesn't turn over, battery was factory, there's a new one in now.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd like to. I'm reasonably handy with cars.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Nope, other than that, it's been fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Is there a "Red Dot" illuminated on the instrument cluster when the ignition is on?

What does this lamp do?

-- go out after a few seconds?

-- stay illuminated?

-- start flashing?

Do you have a second key available to try?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a red dot. It comes on when I try to start the car, stays for about 2 seconds, then goes out. Unfortunately, I don't have a second key to try.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last 8 of the VIN is AD532431
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Ok. That's good. That is proper operation of the red lamp. This is the Security System lamp. As long as it goes out after a couple seconds it means that the Immobilizer is functioning properly. This also means that the second key is not necessary to try.

Next step, Have you tried starting it in neutral as well as park?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yep, tried both neutral and park. Same result.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think it's the starter relay?
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

The starter relay on your vehicle is internal to the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). The relay is NON replaceable.

At this time, I recommend a vehicle scan, we need codes as retrieved from the TIPM. It is possible that the TIPM has "Turned off" the starter relay circuit due to a short somewhere. If this is the case, clearing the codes in the TIPM will re enable the starter relay circuit.

I recommend to use a factory scanner for this scan as the generic scanners cannot talk to the TIPM and as a result we will not be able to retrieve codes from it.

Sorry for the delayed response, was offline for the holiday, thanks for your understanding.

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.