-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Replaced all ac components expt evaporator. Evact down,

Customer Question

Replaced all ac components expt evaporator. Evact down, charged
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Worked great for a day. Pomp will not engage
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced all components except evaporator
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 ram 2500 4X4 5.9 auto
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

Is it still full of freon? Did you add a/c dye incase to have a leak so you could locate it?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not full of freon only 6 oz apx, pump will not run. Added apx one oz dye. Do not have a scan tool.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
System ran for one day then quit. Evac system again to add dye after it quit, would only accept apx 6 oz without pump activated.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

If the system is not full of freon it will not engage.. I advise to recover all the freon and charge with dye then run it and check for dye with a UV light.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Already done that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does not appear to have any leaks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

What are the pressure of low and high sides?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For the second time; the pump stopped running cannot give you low/high pressures. Only about 6 oz freon in the system with apx 1 oz dye. Static pressures on both sides are 56 psi. Need to get the pump runnng to charge the system. Again ALL components are new except the evaporator and hose assy to/from pump.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

So the low and high sides are at 56 psi? Did you try jumping the a/c clutch relay to get it to take the charge?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sir, do not know how or what to jump
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

In the fuse box you should see a a/c compressor relay.. Remove it and jump pins 30 and 87 and the compressor will come on.. Then you can charge the freon, but watch the pressures and remove the jumper if the high side get over 300 psi..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Found the relay. Used a paper clip to jump between pins30 and 87. The compressor failed to run.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.
See if pin 30 has 12v, then see if the compressor has 12v and ground when you jump the relay. If yes then the compressor is bad.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Originally #16 fuze (a/c clutch)10 amp was blown, replaced w/10 amp. Jumped as instructed 12 V at jumper, unplugged connection at a/c pump had 12V across plug/12 V plug to ground. Appeared as pump attempted to run maybe 1/2 turn then nothing. Pump center turns by hand.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Additionally when the new compressor arrived, oil ran out when I removed aft plug. Was instructed to add 2 -3 oz additional oil included with the pomp, balance of 8 oz bottle in accumulator. Everything was fine first time around; charged, no apparent leaks, blew cold air for about one day then stopped. I am at a loss where to go from here. Does brand new compressors die that quickly?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

If the compressor has 12v and ground and the clutch will not engage then you will need to warranty out that compressor...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the oil that the compressor is shipped with the same oil as in the 8 oz bottle (pag100) included. Does one have to drain the oil shipped in the compressor before adding? Trying to establish if there is a problem with not enough; too much; intermixing oil. Again the pump turns over by hand no problem.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

When replacing the compressor you should drain the original compressor and measure the amount of oil and install that amount back into the new compressor. The new compressors has the same PAG oil as you add but it comes with a full system charge so you should have had a full system charge when you first installed the compressor and all new parts.. But now since the compressor is bad you will need to drain the compressor and only add when you get out to prevent excessive oil in the system..

Have a great day,

Brad