Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge charger 2006. The car won't start. When I try to start

Customer Question

Hello. Dodge charger 2006. The car won't start. When I try to start I get a clicking noise. Etc light comes on momentarily when the key is in the ON position
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well that's pretty much all. Like I said it won't start, it just clicks. Also ETC light comes on then off while the key is in the ON position
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I've done some research online and people say it might be the starter relay. I just wanted second opinion
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing besides research
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you out today. Is the click noise a single click and is it a substantial click or a faint click?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Single click. unless I hold the key in the start position, then it clicks continuously. Seems substantial, however I am in my garage so the sound may be amplified?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok, this may just be a low voltage issue (battery). Check something for me: Turn on the headlights and see if they are nice and bright. If so, turn the key to the start position and tell me if the lights stay bright, get dim, or go off completely.

Let me know.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The lights go off and on in unison with the clicking noise.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh wow. Now many of the lights on the dash are out. Could it just be that I need a jump, didn't think that was the case because all of the lights,radio were working
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Ok then we have a bad connection or battery failure. Take the battery out and to your auto parts store and have it tested. or try jumping it with another vehicle or jump/booster pack. I bet it will then start.

Let me know,

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do. And I will get back to you shortly. Thank you!
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

You are welcome!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

How's it going ?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello again, just checking back to see if you got her started. Let me know when you get a chance

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello again, just checking back to see if you got her started. Let me know when you get a chance Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I was wondering what happened? Did you get the vehicle started?

Chris