Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

What is the most common cause dodge ram 3500 diesel not

Customer Question

What is the most common cause for my dodge ram 3500 diesel not starting? It just cranks and cranks, but won't turnover.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
6G175326. Miles are 157000.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Ok good, when was the last fuel filter replacement?

Has it been scanned for codes?

If not, Try this: This may or may not work. Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been told that the fuel injector return flow is too high. The volume is 120ml and it should be well below 100ml. The dealership recommended replacing all six injectors and connectors plus the fuel filter and doing a fuel system flush at the cost of about $7000. The truck is currently starting and runs fine once it starts.
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

That will definitely do it.. That is what I was leaning to.

If you are strapped for cash, you can have them run the "Cap Off" test and see which are the worst 2 or 3 injectors. This way you can break the repairs up by replacing a couple at a time. It is very common for the injectors to fail one by one until all are replaced. This is why we normally recommend all 6 injectors when we have extremely high return flow. Keep in mind, You may get lucky and have the other injectors hold up and not eventually fail.

Thank you,