Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

My key will not lock or unlock my doors. I just got a new

Customer Question

My key will not lock or unlock my doors. I just got a new one about a year ago because my old one was have the same issue.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: No, like I said the key that came with the truck did the same thing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have it on me at the moment.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Can you post the year and model of your Dodge?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I'm assuming that the fob won't work. Have you replaced the battery? Does the panic button work on the fob?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing works on it. No I have not changed the battery. I can try that. It didn't work the last time, but I will give it a shot.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Try the battery, when you have it apart, check to make sure that the battery contact is properly soldered to the circuit board. I've seen these come unsoldered quite often. If you are careful and have a pinpoint soldering iron you can easily resolder the battery contact back in place.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Some fobs are set up a bit different, the battery clips to the cover and a small protrusion contacts the circuit board. Make sure this protrusion contacts the circuit board properly when the key is snapped back together..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks will do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

sounds good, I'll be here in case you have follow up questions..

Thank you,

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.