Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I changed the water pump and when I cranked it is was

Customer Question

I changed the water pump and when I cranked it is was running bad and through three different codes: P0420, P0172, P0507. Could I have done something wrong. What do you suggest me to do to be able to fix the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there.

Did you mean to state those codes set after you drove the vehicle for a while? The reason I ask is because one of the codes, P0420 is a catalytic efficiency code that only sets after multiple OBD-II "trips".

P0507 is basically an information code. It sets when the PCM cannot control idle speed because of a vacuum leak - vacuum hose disconnected?

P0172 sets when the PCM detects the engine is running rich (too much fuel), which doesn't make much sense when looked at in relation to the other two codes.

My advice is to trace your steps backward from the water pump installation and look for any broken or disconnected vacuum hose. If the cause is not evident, then we would have to diagnose the codes individually - tools will be required, such as fuel pressure tester, multimeter, vacuum gauge, etc.

Please let me know what you find.