Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Lately in my grand caravan The radio hasn't been shutting

Customer Question

Lately in my grand caravan The radio hasn't been shutting off when the van is shut off. Also and the door chime rings as if the key fob is left in the ignition even though it has been removed.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it appears as if the van does not know that the key fob has been removed. i was even able to start it with out inserting the key fob into the ignition
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
AR465994
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
These are notorious for issues with the WIN Module (Ignition Switch Assembly). Many times the inner piece on the ignition switch gets stuck down and causes these concerns. Let me find a pic so that I can describe what I am referring to .Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the info. Would this be difficult to correct?
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
If it is what I am thinking, it involves replacing the WIN Module (Ignition Switch).Here is a pic of the exposed part of the WIN Module. The part I am referring to is the center spring loaded portion of the switch. Sometimes it will stick in the "Down" or depressed position and it can cause the scenario's you describe. If this happens repeatedly you will need to visit the dealer to have the WIN Module replaced. This REQUIRES Special programming and programming the keys so make sure to take all keys with you when you have this done. This required programming can only be done with a capable scanner along with the PIN number that must be retrieved from Chrysler. Here is the pic and some markup showing what I am referring to...--->> Click Here to view The switch is easy to replace but the vehicle will NOT run until the unit is configured and the keys are programmed. This is why I recommend to have this done at the dealer...Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, ***** ***** keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer. Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf... This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Robert. From what I've been reading I think there is a recall on the ignition switch for some other issues so I may be able to get this one fixed for free at the dealer. Thanks for you help
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
there is a recall on some Caravans. Unfortunately, your vehicle is NOT included in this recall. I ran the VIN and it showed NO outstanding recalls...Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!Thank you, Robert