Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

2007 sprinter van 3500 JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

2007 sprinter van 3500
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2007 Dodge Sprinter van 3500 check engine light indicated faulty transmission speed sensor -- Do you have replacement instructions for speed sensor?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not if I can avoid it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Other than it has a Freightliner logo on the hood and is registered as a Dodge, it did have shifting issues at sub freezing temps last winter...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Basically, you need to pull the transmission pan to have access to remove the valve body. The Speed Sensors are mounted and are part of the Electrical Circuit board assembly that is attached to the top of the valve body. This complete "Plastic" piece must be replaced. This part is number 12 on the following pic:

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Give me a bit to gather the service instructions...

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Robert -- Mercedes sent me this part when I said there was a speed sensor problem. How do I install it? Do I still have to drain the transmission like you said? How about the solder connection? Package says SENDER UNIT - not really a speed sensor like I expected...
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

The pic you sent is of a "Wheel Speed Sensor".

You stated in your initial post that you were needing a "Transmission Speed Sensor". The pic and instructions I posted are correct if you need to replace the Speed sensors in the transmission.

At this time we need to backup a bit and see what we actually need to replace. First of all, what is the concern that the vehicle is having? Is the "Check Engine" light the only light on? Is the ABS or Traction contol lamps on? IF not, then you have the wrong sensor..

If you can post any codes that were retrieved here, I can steer you in the right direction...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,