Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a dodge Ram Van 1500 V6 running rough temperature

Customer Question

I have a dodge Ram Van 1500 V6 running rough temperature gauge is rising above normal slightly then returns to normal or lower trouble code po455 also my heater fan does not seem to be working correctly can not get airflow to flow through front vents and very little through defrost vents
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, first, I need to get the vin number to pull the schematics and on the climate control, I need to know if it has manual controls or pushbutton/digital controls

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin #2BHB11X42K131114
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI

can you recheck the vin. it should have 17 characters

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry 2B6HB11X42K131114
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, one the airflow issue, when you select the setting for the defrost/dash vents/floor vents, do you hear any flapping noise noise behind the dash?

And the running rough, how does it idle - smoothly, erratically, or rhythmically up and down?

Did the running rough and vent issues happen at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I try the vents I can hear the vents and it idles erratically and it seems like the idle change and vent issue happened at the same time
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the door actuators that control the air direction doors are vacuum controlled. A vacuum leak either in the engine vacuum hoses or from the hose going to the vacuum reservoir or the hvac system will cause erratic idle and vent direction issues.

The vacuum reservoir is mounted in the engine compartment on the right cowl side panel near the speed control servo and below the right headlamp. I need you to check it first for disconnected or broken vacuum lines, as well as cracks on the tank itself.

Next, with engine idling, use carb cleaner and spray every vacuum hose in the engine compartment one at a time, including the pcv valve hose and brake booster hose. If the idle smooths out when one is sprayed, that is your cuprit and you will need to replace it.

If ok, then we will have to dig into the dash to check the vacuum hoses behind it going to the door actuators

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I tried all that no success now guess u gotta figure out where exactly the flap actuators are
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, you have to remove the dash in order to access them on the hvac housing behind the dash

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remove the entire dash or lt . Rt. Side??
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The entire dash.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I haven't had time to take dash apart yet
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a question regarding the fan blower motor wiring , the wire clips that supply the power to blower from dash are gone so u just have the two wires . The problem is the wires from blower are dark green and black but the wires from the dash switch to blower are lite green and lite blue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which way do I connect them ?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The wires from the switch for the blower speed dont go to the blower motor. They go to the resistor-light blue, tan, and light green with white . From there, one wire goes to the blower motor. It is light green with white stripe. Then there is a blue wire that goes from the ignition switch to the blower motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK what I see under the hood is 2 wires coming from inside cab and 2 from blower I'm used to connecting wht. 2 wht. , blk. 2 blk. And so on . So lt. Green with wht. Stripe go's 2 blk. And blue wire 2 green wire
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I gave you what I show. I dont show a black wire, so I cannot tell you if what you are saying would be correct or not.