Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I was told i would need a new engine because of gunk in it.

Customer Question

I was told i would need a new engine because of gunk in it. Said they could change the oil pump, but it might only go 5,000 or 50,000 more miles. They couldn't guarantee anything. The vehicle has sat for a year and now the engine is locked up. I want to change the oil pump myself and see what happens, but i don't know how to break the engine loose.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet...just been researching.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I think that's it...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

Remove the spark plugs and get some transmission fluid down into the cylinders, trans fluid is a fine oil that may help loosen the rings if they are stuck. Since you will have the pan off when replacing the oil pump, checking the main and rod bearings would be a very good idea. Loosen the mains and rods one at a time and see if the engine can be turned over by hand with a breaker bar at the crank pulley.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi There,

I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks so much.